- They are low in cholesterol, fat and sodium. This makes them an ideal snack to satiate those in-between meal hunger pangs.
- They are beneficial to those suffering from high blood pressure, heart diseases and obesity due to their high magnesium and low sodium content.
- Makhanas are recommended for diabetics too due to their low glycemic index.
- An anti-ageing enzyme in these seeds is said to help repair damaged proteins.
- In addition, the presence of a natural flavonoid called kaempferol (also present in coffee), helps prevent inflammation and ageing.
- Ayurvedic beliefs suggest that fox nuts astringent properties that benefit the kidneys.
- Makhanas are gluten-free, protein rich and high in carbohydrates.
- They are low in calories, making them an ideal snack for weight loss
- Ayurvedic and Unani medicine believe them to have aphrodisiac properties.