Aniseed (Sonf or Saunf)
Aniseed (sonf) is a warming, sweet and stimulating herb with expectorant and estrogenic effects. It also has aphrodisiac properties. Aniseed (sonf) extract contains considerable amounts of protein, crude fibers, moisture, fatty acids and other useful ingredients like sugar, starch, essential oils ash and choline. As an ingredient of herbal products, aniseed relieves various internal and external ailments. It is also known for its aromatic relieving ability.
- Digestive disorder: Aniseed expels wind from our stomach. It relieves colic and flatulence and promotes digestion. It is used in combination with other digestives like cumin, ginger, and pepper in various infusions. Aniseed extract is also an ingredient of ‘Gripe water’ used for infants.
- Cataract: Ingesting six grams of aniseeds everyday in the morning and evening relieves cataract. Alternately, one can consume twelve grams of a mixture prepared by mixing equal weights of powdered aniseed and coriander seeds with equal weight of unrefined sugar in the morning and evening.
- Asthma: Expectorant properties of aniseeds make it an ideal relieve for asthma. It also relieves cold, cough, bronchitis and sinusitis.
- Insomnia: Consuming warm tea prepared by boiling a teaspoon of aniseeds in 375 ml of water on simmer in a covered vessel for 15 minutes, straining the fluid and adding a dash of honey or hot milk after every meal or before bed-time relieves insomnia.
- Others: It relieves irritation and tension, brightens the eyes and restores mental equilibrium.